Exploring seeds in preschool

This activity box is filled with a variety of dry beans and pasta for a little spring garden sensory play….

If you are wondering why there is pasta mixed into the mix – I can’t really say except that it provides a little more color and texture…

As with any sensory activity like this, we always add bowls and cups of various sizes for scooping and pouring…

The children have been exploring all kinds of plant activities such as planting their own seeds…

And exploring what will happen as the flowers grow…

If you missed our fun with tall flowers – be sure to check them out too!

Here are a few more seed ideas…

Seed Graphing from Counting Coconuts

Seed Sorting from Share and Remember

Seed Fingerpaint from Not Just Cute

Tiny Seed Sensory Tree from GummyLump

Paper Towel Roll Seed Planters from My Delicious Ambiguity

Books from Amazon

By |2011-04-14T11:00:21+00:00April 14th, 2011|

1. Alison April 14, 2011 at 11:30 am - Reply

Thank you for linking to me in your sidebar!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 14, 2011 at 1:39 pm - Reply

You are welcome! That is such a cute book!

2. Andrea April 14, 2011 at 7:01 pm - Reply

I added beans to our sand table awhile ago, just for fun. The kids love digging for beans! Someone even drew some little smiley faces on a few of the beans – the kids get a big kick out of finding those.

I just want to thank you for all the wonderful resources and ideas you post here. You have really challenged me to grow and be a better teacher this first year of mine!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 14, 2011 at 7:50 pm - Reply

I am so excited that you are investing your time in researching new ideas! This will really help you grow and be the very best teacher. Sounds too me like you are well on your way.. I love the smiley faces on the beans – our kids would get a kick out of that!

3. Gianne April 14, 2011 at 11:05 pm - Reply

BTW, I responded to your comment at cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

Love the coloring of plastic eggs too! My goodness, you are a wealth of fun ideas!
    Gianne

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Thank you Gianne – I will swing back over there to read your reply:)

4. Petra April 15, 2011 at 10:13 am - Reply

Hi Deborah!
    Your postcard has arrived. Thank you so much 🙂
    Have à great spring time
    Greetings
    Petra sterner

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm - Reply

You are welcome Petra! I need to blog about that soon!

5. Miss Nirvana April 15, 2011 at 11:06 am - Reply

We adore seed activities. I think our favorite activity was looking at seeds under a hand help microscope. https://nirvanahomeschooling.blogspot.com/2011/03/book-tiny-seed-by-eric-carle.html We also watched a bean grow. https://nirvanahomeschooling.blogspot.com/2011/02/watch-our-bean-plant-grow-up-close.html

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm - Reply

I am so glad you shared these ideas too!

6. Fun seed ideas! I will be needing some of these for next month. Thanks for sharing my seed sorting sheet too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm - Reply

You are welcome Stacy:)

7. Amanda Morgan April 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm - Reply

What wonderful activities! Thank you for including me!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm - Reply

Your blog always inspires me Amanda – thanks for all you do!