Save the valentine box for preschool

Go out and treat your self to a box of chocolates but be sure to save the box!

The valentine box is more than just a box it is also an experience…

The chocolate dividers inside the valentine box can be used for a little sensory play, patterning, and a sorting game!

Don’t forget the big heart that comes in most valentine boxes. This big heart makes a great canvas for painting or decorating…

Just flip the heart over to the side without any print and decorate it!

And that fabulous shiny red paper that the box is all wrapped in should be saved too…

The shiny paper tears easily and can be used to make a wonderful collage on clear contact paper!

And what can you do with the chocolates that are in the box? Well, you can eat them or the children can try a little taste testing! Let the children predict what will be in each chocolate morsel and then take a bite!

Now, I have given you every excuse to buy yourself a box of chocolates so go ahead and treat yourself – do it for the sake of quality early childhood education!

See how you can make this wonderful chocolate play dough for another fabulous idea to use a valentine box for!

I am linking this post up with Kid’s Get Crafty over at Red Ted’s Art Blog!

By |2011-02-08T10:57:34+00:00February 8th, 2011|

1. Scott February 8, 2011 at 11:09 am - Reply

You’ve given me many reasons to go buy some chocolates. But…if I wait until February 15…I could buy twice as much for the same price!

Thanks for the ideas, Deborah.

• Deborah J. Stewart February 8, 2011 at 11:33 am - Reply

Looks like you will be saving up for next year! By the way, I got most of my chocolate boxes at the Dollar Store but waiting until after peek season is definitely a good idea!

2. time for play February 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Love this. We have marble painted in ours before.

• Deborah J. Stewart February 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm - Reply

What a good idea! I didn’t think of that!

3. Amy M February 9, 2011 at 3:53 am - Reply

If you have the storage space this would be good to ask parents to bring in any they may have after the holiday. Save them for next year. 🙂 Also love the idea of getting them on sale Scott.

• Deborah J. Stewart February 9, 2011 at 7:20 am - Reply

I’ll bet lots of parents just toss them out and wouldn’t mind donating!!

4. maggy, red ted art February 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Ok! My husband had better buy me some (heart shaped) chocolates this year!! This looks so much fun!

Thank you for linking up!

Maggy

• Deborah J. Stewart February 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm - Reply

You need to drop some hints:)

5. Kerri February 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm - Reply

I love that you used the pom pom in the box! Wonderful idea!! Kerri

• Deborah J. Stewart February 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm - Reply

Thank you Kerri!

6. marge nathan February 13, 2011 at 9:13 am - Reply

I work in a Montossori preschool. This would be great for our children. I just found your site Thanks for a great idea

• Deborah J. Stewart February 13, 2011 at 10:09 am - Reply

Thanks for stopping by Marge!