Creative Challenge: Holiday magazine puzzles

Today, I am joining my friend over at Tinkerlab and others for the Creative Challenge: Magazines!

Tinkerlab Creative Challenge

Today’s challenge was to do something creative with magazines.  To combine this challenge with the spirit of the holidays, I decided I could make some holiday puzzles for my class….

To make the puzzles, I pulled out pages from a recent issue of Family Fun magazine.  The photos in this magazine are big, bright, and there are lots of fun photos that are perfect for young children to explore. Plus the creative ideas you can find in this magazine are awesome too!….

I selected lots of photos from the magazine to tear out, trim up, and glue to sheets of red construction paper…

I laminated my puzzles so I could keep them for next year too.  I didn’t realize how many photos I had cut out until I had them all spread out on the table…

Once I had all my puzzle pieces ready to go, I flipped them over and numbered each set so they would be easier to keep organized.  I spread them out on the table for the children to flip over and discover what beautiful photo is on each puzzle…

I think I will set out some more magazines now and let the children make some of their own puzzles to take home.  I didn’t think of this until after I made my own set!

Hint: One thing I learned while making these is if you decide to laminate them, it might be better to cut the puzzle pieces apart first so the laminating paper sticks to all the edges. I had to use clear packing tape to seal up some of my edges after I cut the pages into puzzle pieces.

Check out all the creative ideas you can do with magazines from these folks or see the linky below!

Child Central Station                                                 Childhood101

kids in the studio,                                                       Hands on as we grow

Teach Mama                                                               Artful Parent

The Imagination Tree                                               Paint Cut Paste

A Mom With A Lesson Plan                                      Toddler Approved

Kiwi Crate                                                                    Art 4 Little Hands

Red Ted Art                                                                The Chocolate Muffin Tree

Imagination Soup                                                       Michelles Charm World

Messy Preschoolers                                                   Tinker Lab

Mommy Labs                                                              Putti Prapancha

Sunhats and Wellie Boots

By |2017-03-28T22:28:28+00:00December 5th, 2011|

1. Amy A @ CCS December 5, 2011 at 12:49 am - Reply

I love the puzzles! Family Fun sure had some GREAT images for you to use!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 5, 2011 at 12:56 am - Reply

Thank you Amy!!! I love that magazine:)

2. maggy,red ted art December 5, 2011 at 4:27 am - Reply

How wonderful! I know my son will adore this… we have been doing lots of cutting since taking part in the challenge and this is lovely!

Maggy

3. maria December 5, 2011 at 6:50 am - Reply

They are wonderful! I love the bright images:)

4. Christie-Childhood 101 December 5, 2011 at 7:23 am - Reply

What a fun idea and great images!

5. Amber December 5, 2011 at 8:32 am - Reply

Turned out well!

6. Rashmie @MommyLabs December 5, 2011 at 8:39 am - Reply

Brilliant idea. So much fun these handmade puzzles are…
    The images you’ve chosen are beautiful….

7. Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree December 5, 2011 at 9:02 am - Reply

Great idea! These puzzles will be enjoyed every holiday season for years to come! My daughter has been obsessed with puzzles lately and she would Love this!

8. Roopa December 5, 2011 at 9:19 am - Reply

Perfect for the holidays !! Love the idea 🙂

9. [email protected] December 5, 2011 at 11:46 am - Reply

What a wonderful idea. They turned out very nice. Simple and easy to do too. My 2 year old is frustrated with our puzzles. I think she could do these.

10. Esther December 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm - Reply

I love the idea of recycling the magazine to puzzles! My daughter will love it!

Love the snow flurries! Feels so festive!

11. Jill @ a mom with a lesson plan December 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm - Reply

So cool! I love simple and fun ideas that only take a minute to prep! For all of you at home mama… contact paper works well if you don’t have access to a laminater!

• Rachelle | TinkerLab December 7, 2011 at 1:06 am - Reply

Thank you for the suggestion, Jill! I have tons of contact paper, and will get right to work on making some puzzles.

12. michelle December 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm - Reply

what a clever idea!!!

13. jen @ paintcutpaste.com December 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm - Reply

my little one is obsessed with puzzles – this is a must do! love it!

14. Leslie S. December 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm - Reply

SUPER FUN IDEA!!!!

15. Juliet December 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm - Reply

Hello Deborah

You are going to REALLY laugh but this has given me just the inspiration I needed for some indoor activities with a pile of catalogues!

Craftily yours 🙂
    Juliet

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Haha – You are right Juliet!! I am giggling:) I love you!!

16. Deedee Wills December 5, 2011 at 8:56 pm - Reply

What a great idea! We can cut the picture into more pieces for kindergarten. Oh, you got my wheels turning! Thank you!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

17. Clemencia December 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm - Reply

What an awesome idea, easy to make and perfect for all ages too, thanks a lot 🙂

18. Melissa @imaginationsoup December 7, 2011 at 12:44 am - Reply

such a good idea – I love it!

19. Rachelle | TinkerLab December 7, 2011 at 1:07 am - Reply

Deborah, this is just wonderful! My 3 year old will adore these puzzles and I think I’ll make her a set for the holidays. Thank you, thank you for your endless amazing ideas.