Making squishy fishy aquariums in preschool

Your kids will love the colors and textures in this fun sensory experience!

We explored fish a few weeks ago and made squishy fishy aquarium. You can see how to make these sensory gel bags by clicking here.

Color Mixing

The children put green and yellow food color in their gel bags because Mrs. Stewart (me) was not thinking very clearly that day. For some reason, I had it in my head that green and yellow make blue.  Have you ever had one of those days?

Enjoying the Process

So, instead of blue fishy bags we had a variety of green and yellow fishy bags. I am so glad children don’t really care about the final product as much as the process…

Exploring Texture

You can’t see the fish in there all that well in these pictures but the children also added foam fish to their gel bags…

I hung all our fishy bags in the window which made them tempting to walk by and feel throughout the day…

Exploring Light

The light shining through makes our green and yellow squishy fishy bags quite a beautiful display…

Enjoying a Sweet Treat

So to make up for my brain lapse on color mixing, I served the children jello aquarium cups instead…

Yum but sweeeeet!

Available on Amazon

Linking up to No Time for Flashcards: Link and Learn

By |2018-12-12T12:12:49+00:00October 24th, 2011|

1. Amber October 24, 2011 at 7:35 am - Reply

Looks neat with the sun shining through them up on the door! My kiddos love gel bags also.

2. abbie October 24, 2011 at 9:07 am - Reply

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.
    And yes, I think we all have those days!

3. TheBargainBabe October 24, 2011 at 10:03 am - Reply

love the aquarium squishy bags! That is a super idea. I’ve done squishy bags but never actually put something else IN.

By the way, I’m going to be in your neck of the woods soon. Shoot me an email if you wanna meet up!

4. shar October 24, 2011 at 10:26 am - Reply

I just want to reach right into my computer screen and touch one! Love the idea and have pinned it – thank you. ps – our fish pond looks that colour at the moment!

5. Andrea October 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm - Reply

That’s okay – the other day one of my cuties asked how to make red and I sat there thinking for a second until my mom helper pointed out you can’t. I’m sure she left wondering about her child’s teacher that day! 😀

6. John Bowman October 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm - Reply

Very cool activity, Deborah! Looks like the kids had a great time.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 7:54 am - Reply

7. Jill October 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm - Reply

I just LOVE this!! Great actvity for those kids that dont care so much for getting dirty!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm - Reply

For sure!

8. Terri October 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm - Reply

What fun and what a great sensory experience! I can just see the kids walking by to touch them all day… it would be too tempting not to!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm - Reply

I think I touched them more than the kids did:)

9. Beth October 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm - Reply

Those look AWESOME! Love the creative, fun idea! I wanted to invite you to link up at my TGIF Linky Party – https://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
    ~Beth

10. Lisa October 31, 2011 at 11:52 am - Reply

My aunt owns a preschool and I think she will really appreciate this activity. Though you made an error with the color combination, I think the aquarium still turned out amazing. I can’t wait to see the effects when there is light. And serving them jello was brilliant.

11. Darla Hutson February 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm - Reply

Absolutely love these. Thanks so much for sharing your “squishy-fishy!”