Very busy making spider webs in preschool

Today we read the book, “The Very Busy Spider” by Eric Carle. This is one of my all time favorite books. Everytime I read it aloud to a group of children, I have a captivated audience…

One of the best parts of this book is the web that is being formed throughout the book. The children love to feel it – and so do I…

We spent the entire day exploring spiders starting with this fun little spider chart I made on my computer.  I just used spider clip art off of the web and created my own little poster. The bottom says…

1. Spiders have 8 legs

2. Spiders eat mostly insects that fly.

3. Spiders catch insects in their sticky web.

Then we made our very own spiderwebs…

I let the children choose the color of yarn they would like to use for weaving their webs…

These are Styrofoam plates with little triangle cut outs around the edges to help hold the yarn in place…

Most of our children wanted to use multiple colors of yarn, so we just kept tying on new colors of yarn to the ends of their yarn pieces and let the children keep on weaving as long as they wished…

When they were happy with their webs, we let them add a spider to the end of the last string. The spider dangled down from the webs. Our pre-k children got the weaving concept down easily. Our threes were not all able to keep their weaving on course but their webs turned out just as fun and they loved the process since we kept the weaving process open to their interpretation…

Don’t you just love these webs?

You may be wondering how we managed to keep our yarn all organized with such a process so tomorrow, I am going to introduce to you our amazing yarn machine:)  You will love it!

Links to Grow On…

Don’t Get Caught in the Spider Web Game from Teach Preschool

Itsy Bitsy Spider Day in Preschool from Teach Preschool

More Spider Fun found here on Teach Preschool Pinterest

By |2011-10-25T16:40:07+00:00October 25th, 2011|

1. Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree October 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm - Reply

Love your spider webs! We will have to create some like this!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

2. Rainy Day Mum October 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm - Reply

I love weaving and did a similar activity for craft at my playgroup last Friday we hole punched a paper plate and thread yarn through the holes making sure that the ends were sticky taped and then created pompom spiders. The 2 and 3 year olds needed some help but liked pulling the yarn through the hole once it was aligned correctly.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm - Reply

We actually made spiders to hang from our webs but they were not dry by the end of the day — so I let the children use the purchased spiders! I never thought of making pompom spiders though!

3. CarrotyCarrots October 25, 2011 at 6:52 pm - Reply

What a great activity! I love that book too.

Another activity I have done at school is to fill spray water bottles up with ‘magic web water’ and then go out into the garden. They squirt it everywhere (good for fine motor control) and when it lands on spiders’ webs it makes them really easy to see, just like dew in the morning.

Carrots

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm - Reply

Oh what a cute idea!

4. Andrea October 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm - Reply

Those are fun webs! I love that you let them interpret the weaving process on their own – I always enjoy seeing how my preschoolers interpret our crafts. It challenges that side of me that likes to have things “just so” – I’m a lot more relaxed about a lot of things since I started teaching. 😉

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm - Reply

I am much more relaxed now than I used to be too Andrea:)

5. Tiffanie W. October 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm - Reply

These are simply adorable and something even nimble fingers can do, thanks for all the great ideas!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm - Reply

The children enjoyed working with the yarn:)

6. Little Wonders' Days October 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm - Reply

Oh, these are cute! My Sassyfras loves to “tie” anything and everything. I bet she would like this activity.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Haha – we had a few webs all tied up in knots!

7. early childhood education October 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm - Reply

That is fantastic! I need to replicate this with my kids. We recently made spiders with play dough. We can now create great homes for our spiders.:) This is great.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm - Reply

We did playdough spiders today too!

8. angelique felix October 26, 2011 at 4:24 am - Reply

So lovely Deborah! I see how much fun you are having with the children. It needs a child to think, act and sometimes become one I believe.
    lovely greetings, Angelique

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm - Reply

What a nice thing to say! I think you are right!

9. Rosana Garcia Hess October 26, 2011 at 7:13 am - Reply

lovely idea….I´ll try this with my students next year
    thanks for sharing
    hugs from Brazil

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm - Reply

Thanks for stopping by Rosana!

10. [email protected] October 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm - Reply

These are brilliant. I love that they all look very individual and that the children weren’t restricted to only using black!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm - Reply

My class is used to using lots of color and although I did mine in black – it didn’t occur to them that they had to do theirs in black too!

11. Chris October 29, 2011 at 11:31 pm - Reply

We tried these at a Halloween party. The kid loved this activity.

12. sherylmorris October 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm - Reply

Cute, cute.
    I try to avoid using styrofoam, however.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 31, 2011 at 1:16 am - Reply

I suppose you could use other materials like cardboard pizza circles!