Melted crayon art in preschool

If you follow very many blogs then you will know that this has been a popular idea over the past month and I was excited to try it in our prek class too.

Our prek students love doing this type of activity because they get to use “grown-up” tools in the process…

Each child was given a square art canvas board for their melted crayon art.  The children selected the crayons they wanted to use and arranged them on their boards. In reading how to do this, I read that crayola brand crayons melt the best so I set out several packs of crayola brand crayons…

The children ended up with some beautiful designs.  Most of the children would turn their canvas on different sides to make the crayon melt in various directions as they used the blow dryer…

Most of the children used lots of different colors of crayons but this child just chose to use orange crayons. You can see how the tip of the crayon is just starting to melt.

We used the hot setting and high speed of the blow dryer because the children didn’t want to wait for the slower settings to work…

And Ms. Abby wanted to make one too but she let the kids help her melt the crayons…

So here are our finished melted crayon art canvases…

This wonderful idea can also be seen at Sara’s Art House and Whatever!

See how to make a simple melted crayon picture here!

See more crayon ideas here!

By |2011-10-23T06:00:56+00:00October 23rd, 2011|

1. Kαρπαθάκι October 23, 2011 at 7:45 am - Reply

Amazing!!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 23, 2011 at 10:25 am - Reply

Thank you Kαρπαθάκι.

2. Esther October 23, 2011 at 10:05 am - Reply

We have to try our hand on the melted crayon art! Just love the wonderful ideas circulating! I like the random glued crayons melt art. The spatters look like fireworks!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 23, 2011 at 10:25 am - Reply

We enjoyed making these more than I thought we would. I thought I would have to do too much of the work but turns out that these kids could do much more than I expected!

3. Amy A October 23, 2011 at 12:16 pm - Reply

Deborah-
    We have been loving the blow dryer as a brush… for our roaming melted crayons ( We didn’t glue our crayon stubs down…) and for a variety of paints now too! I have the blow dryer sitting on the shelf with the other “brushes” now. It seems to be the tool of choice at the moment! I love how quickly the children become independent users of real tools!

4. Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree October 23, 2011 at 2:29 pm - Reply

We have yet to try this—Love how yours turned out!

5. Maria Luz October 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Good idea! Very nice work. Thank you for sharing!
    Maria Luz
    Lisbon Portugal

6. Catherine Schneider October 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm - Reply

My 7 year old and I did this today! Really fun and cute 🙂 I can’t wait to do it with my daycare kiddos… thanks!

7. Alison October 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm - Reply

This looks great. I just showed Mr 4 and he wants to do it now!!!!.
    Will be doing this later in the week with the older children

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm - Reply

Haha! He knows a fun idea when he sees it!

8. renelik October 28, 2011 at 3:24 am - Reply

this looks like a fun activity that I can’t wait to try with my kids. Do you think this is suitable for under 3?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 28, 2011 at 8:59 am - Reply

Hmmm, I don’t know – they will definitely need some help and supervision! We only tried it with our fours and fives.

9. Julie October 30, 2011 at 10:55 am - Reply

How long does it take for the melting to start?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 30, 2011 at 10:56 am - Reply

It starts immediately..

10. Danielle December 31, 2011 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Cant wait to do this with my daughter.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm - Reply

Yay – I am glad you will give it a try!

11. Fizzy Noor January 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm - Reply

The orange one has to be my favourite.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. January 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm - Reply