Making ink stamps for the preschool classroom

If you follow along with my blog regularly, you know that I have been getting ready for a new preschool year. One of the biggest challenges in setting up a new classroom is getting all the supplies you think you will need.  I have been trying to make as many things as I can along the way…

My latest goal was to make some ink stamps. Esther over at Creatiivty My Passion shared this idea and I tell you, it took me three days before I could finally make my way over to Target to get these little foam blocks just so I could make some foam stamps too. I was really stressing that all the foam blocks would be gone….

There are lots of ways to make your own stamps but I really liked these blocks for more than just the stamping potential. I also thought they would be great for sorting, counting, building, painting, and a little water play fun too.  I bought a bunch so I can use them in many different ways once preschool begins…

Creatiivty My Passion also used a pen to engrave shapes on the foam blocks which seem to turn out very well too.  I thought I would let the children try to draw some of their own shapes later on in the school year or perhaps I will print the names of each of my students on the blocks for them to stamp away with…

In the mean time, I can mark ink stamps off my list of things I need in the classroom this year!

Available on Amazon

Links to Grow On

There are other ways to make ink stamps that I hope to try later on but for now, I thought you might like to see a few links to other homemade ink stamp ideas…

DIY Name Stamp from No Time for Flashcards

Stamping with Foam from Housing a Forest

Bottle Cap Stamps from Pretty Little Things

Recycled Cardboard Stamps from Babble

Bottle Lid Stamps from A Little Learning for Two

Laundry Lid Stamps from Mom Tried It

Craft Stick Name Stamp from Fun with Mama

DIY (very unique) Stamps from Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning

Foam board stamps from Mama to 4 Blessings

By |2011-08-10T02:21:52+00:00August 10th, 2011|

1. Tina August 10, 2011 at 7:30 am - Reply

Thank you for this onderful idea!!! I will try to make homemade jumbo stamp pads for this purpose

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 10:10 am - Reply

That’s a great idea Tina!

2. JDaniel4's Mom August 10, 2011 at 7:45 am - Reply

These are wonderful! I love that the kids made their own designs!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 10:10 am - Reply

I do too!

3. Scott August 10, 2011 at 8:24 am - Reply

A great idea! I already have some of those foam cubes from Target.

I also see that you got some of those wonderful washable stamp pads from Discount School Supply. I’ve never been so happy to see kids’ hands come clean!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 10:10 am - Reply

Yes, they had them on sale so I ordered them:) I didn’t realize that they would be so big! But I love them.

4. Nadia August 10, 2011 at 10:15 am - Reply

Now I need to search everywhere in South Africa for some foam blocks! I love the variety of stamps you created as well as the catchy colors!
    Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for linking to me 🙂

🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 11:13 am - Reply

Haha – I sure wish you good luck!

5. Esther August 10, 2011 at 10:18 am - Reply

Thanks for the mention! We had lots of fun with foam blocks. Even I want to get some more from Target and stock.

We have to get those washable stamps too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 11:12 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing all your ideas Esther:)

6. andiejaye August 10, 2011 at 11:30 am - Reply

i saw these and totally resisted buying a whole bunch of them… may have to go back 😛 i bet you could also stack 2 foam stickers on top of each other to make whatever stamp you’d like! such great ideas!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 11:36 am - Reply

The ideas are endless!!

7. Miss Kelly August 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm - Reply

Hi Deborah,
    Just got my foam blocks from Target! Love this idea. I put foam alphabet stickers on mine so the children can practice putting the lettes in order. Thanks for sharing.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm - Reply

That is terrific Miss Kelly! I am looking forward to my students digging in and putting the stamps I have prepared to good use!