A kitchen timer and a preschooler

Last week, I bought this little egg timer. My plan was and, still is, to add it to one of my activity boxes. I hadn’t decided what else to include with the egg timer yet so I left it sitting out on my counter…

My little friend Tristan found the egg timer on my counter and for the rest of the day, he carried it around. He used it to tell everyone what “time” it was. He would turn the dial and say, “Hurry up, it’s time to go,” and then make the bell ring. “Too late time is out” he would announce…

He used his fine motor skills to turn the dial back and forth…

He had me listen to the ticking sound and often reminded me, in his own words, how time was of the essence!

All of this play, motor development, and exploration of time was far more than any game I could have planned. So now I know what to add to the activity box – just more egg timers!

Link Party Thursdays

By |2011-04-28T22:34:47+00:00April 28th, 2011|

1. Chel April 29, 2011 at 12:39 am - Reply

I dropped by to let you know that your blog has been awarded the Versatile Blogger Award. Congrats! Follow this link to know what you need to do next.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 29, 2011 at 8:12 am - Reply

2. jenny April 29, 2011 at 5:00 am - Reply

Okay, so now I’m going to have to find myself some egg timers!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 29, 2011 at 7:53 am - Reply

Haha, I need to pick up a few more too!

3. Scott April 29, 2011 at 8:30 am - Reply

I think I need to gather a few timers, too. I’m thinking of lots of things to do with them….

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 29, 2011 at 11:27 pm - Reply

I can’t wait to see what you would come up with Scott – I love your rocks and scale post. I was planning a similar post too but you beat me to it:) Yours is better than I had planned so well done!

4. [email protected] April 29, 2011 at 9:59 am - Reply

Very fun. We have an egg timer, but it isn’t something my kids love. I set the timer when they need to get something done in a certain time. I set it for a half hour and they have to clean their room. Anything left out after a half hour gets taken away. Aren’t I mean? Anyway, thanks for sharing on my link party. Your son is adorable.

5. [email protected] April 29, 2011 at 10:05 am - Reply

just reread the post and realized that isn’t your son. He is a cute guy anyway. I looked over your blog more after reading this post and realized it is a preschool teachers blog not a mommy blog. Sorry for the confusion.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 29, 2011 at 11:22 pm - Reply

That’s okay – it is for anyone who works with preschoolers and I wouldn’t mind claiming Tristan as a son:) He is such a sweetie!

6. Jamie @ hands on : as we grow May 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm - Reply

I’m gonna have to let Henry have a day with my egg timer! I got it ‘for him’ but for me to use ‘with him’ — it has been a big help with picking up toys, or getting ready — but I’ve never let him have free reign with it. I’m curious to know what he’ll come up with to do.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm - Reply

I think that is part of the fun is just to leave it sitting down and see what they come up with. This really was an accident but once he started playing with it, I realized that he was now teaching me 🙂