Hot cocoa activity box for preschool

I posted before on activity boxes we use in preschool and this week, for a little dramatic play and fine motor fun, our curriculum coordinator put together a cute little hot cocoa box…

Inside the box is a baggy filled with scrunched up construction paper pieces for the hot cocoa mix. Some cotton balls for the marshmallows. Spoons and cups and “Hot Cocoa” counting cards.

The idea is for the children to make their own cup of pretend hot cocoa. First, they spoon some hot cocoa mix into the cup…

Then they add a marshmallow on top…

Click here for cards

Or two., or three, or four…

The children made some hot cocoa paintings as well this week. They used real marshmallows and dipped them into white paint then made prints on brown construction paper.

Of course, we need to try making some real hot cocoa at the end of the week too!  If you want to see some other hot cocoa ideas, check out these links below!

Foxy Toy Box: Winter Hot Cocoa

My Hot Cocoa Song on Little Fingers that Play: Hot Cocoa

Preschool Playbook: The Hot Chocolate Shop

“How do you Like Your Hot Chocolate?” graph is cute by First Grader…at Last!

And these Hot Cocoa cards were made by Melissa Brubaker of Around the Sun Montessori Preschool and go perfectly with the “Hot Cocoa” song above!

The children also glued some Marshmallows on their letter M!

By |2011-01-05T01:03:48+00:00January 5th, 2011|

1. Lisa's Play Palace January 5, 2011 at 8:21 am - Reply

LOVE these cute ideas….
    are the templates to print the mugs of cocoa on the website here?

• Deborah J. Stewart January 5, 2011 at 8:34 am - Reply

Click on the picture that says “Click here for Cards.” I went back and added them for everyone:)

2. elizabeth January 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Such cute ideas! 🙂 Love them!

• Deborah J. Stewart January 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm - Reply

Thanks for stopping by Elizabeth! I love all things hot cocoa:)

3. Kerri January 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm - Reply

I love the cocoa idea!! Thanks so much for adding the cards too! Kerri

• Deborah J. Stewart January 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm - Reply

You’re welcome Kerri!

4. Suz Flee January 6, 2011 at 9:27 am - Reply

Thanks for adding the cards. I just gave my 3’s brown paper and had them do the tearing – so many of them have a hard time with tearing but when I told them they had to tear before they put in the marshmallow, they showed a lot of persistence!

• Deborah J. Stewart January 6, 2011 at 10:32 am - Reply

LOL – a little treat along the way can always produce a little more effort.

5. Suz Flee January 6, 2011 at 9:30 am - Reply

I also like the one-to-one correspondence of the next set of cards but when I went to the Montessori page I couldn’t find a way to get to them?

• Deborah J. Stewart January 6, 2011 at 10:31 am - Reply

I think she may just be offering them as examples rather than downloads:)

6. What fun activities! Thanks for the great links as well – I especially love the Montessori-inspired idea by Melissa Brubaker. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

• Deborah J. Stewart January 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm - Reply

Thanks for Stopping by Deb – I love that one too!

7. Darcey January 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm - Reply

Deborah, this is a great idea. It’s a creative activity box and I love hot coco as a theme. I didn’t know there were this many hot coco activities. Great post andI’ve included it on my weekly favorites here: https://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favorites-for-january-9-2011.html

• Deborah J. Stewart January 9, 2011 at 9:10 pm - Reply

Thank you for including a link to the hot cocoa post on your blog Darcey! I tweeted your post too earlier this evening!!

8. […] Preschool has a fun hot chocolate sensory bin that is easily made with some scraps of paper and cotton […]