Shave cream sensory painting in our preschool classroom

Every single day, our preschoolers ask me to let them paint with shave cream on our window easel….

I keep a bottle of shave cream in our outdoor classroom at all times and we add food color so the children can paint with it on the sensory window…

There isn’t a day goes by that someone isn’t painting on the window easel. I plan to add other ideas for them to use on the window easel but because of popular demand, I have just continued to let the children paint with the shave cream for now..

This is messy – I will not kid you but the children have learned how to use the wash cloths to wash the shave cream off the window and their hands, and arms, and legs and floor, as they go along…

I am excited about integrating new tools and materials into our use of the window easel but I wont change it up too early so the children can just have fun with this experience for now…

Besides, I do get to go home every day smelling fresh and clean like shave cream!

By |2011-09-07T15:00:12+00:00September 7th, 2011|

1. Andrea September 7, 2011 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Have you found one that isn’t too smelly? The stuff we have is so powerful I can barely stand it. I put some in ziploc bags last year with a few drops of blue and yellow food colouring, to show the kids how green is made. We loved mixing the colours, but the smell was so potent it still came off on our hands through TWO ziplocs. The expensive ones!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 7, 2011 at 7:31 pm - Reply

No, I haven’t but since we primarily use it in our outdoor classroom, the smell isn’t overwhelming. The childcare program uses some that doesn’t seem so strong inside their classrooms but I am not sure what the brand is. I will try to find out.

2. Amy A September 8, 2011 at 12:27 am - Reply

I buy our shaving cream at the dollar store. It is the only place I have been able to find “cream” instead of gel that is scented for women. So, instead of the aftershave scents, I purchase it in peach and raspberry. I wouldn’t say that the scent is less potent, but perhaps easier to handle!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 9, 2011 at 12:14 am - Reply

I haven’t thought of other scents Amy – great idea!

3. andiejaye September 8, 2011 at 1:40 am - Reply

when i was in a classroom, instead of at home, i alternated shaving cream and water tubs every other day. to mix it up, we’d just add different items to enhance play. i have usually used the sensitive skin formula–it seems to have a softer smell. ((but i love it when the kiddos run around smelling like it!!))

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 9, 2011 at 12:15 am - Reply

Haha!

4. KM September 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm - Reply

Nothing beats a little ol shaving cream fun! It is so neat seeing it used on your “window!”

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 10, 2011 at 5:48 pm - Reply

We love it!

5. stephanie a. September 11, 2011 at 2:02 am - Reply

thanks, deborah! gotta love those oldies-but-goodies. but–I’ve never seen this activity done on a vertical surface! we’ll need to try that!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 11, 2011 at 2:27 am - Reply

We love it standing up or sitting down:)