Tissue box challenge: making simple squares in preschool

I just love a challenge because it makes me think “outside of the box” – yes pun intended…

JDaniel4’s Mom and The Activity Mom are hosting this fun little challenge as a creative way to recognize earth week. The challenge is to make something out of a tissue box! I really am not all that creative but I do love to paint so I decided to do a little tissue box painting…

I simply started off with a tissue box (I had two empty ones just for fun) and some finger paint that I picked up from Walmart but I am sure any kind of paint will do. Then I squirted several colors of the paint on the paper plate…

Next, I pressed the bottom of the tissue box in the paint…

And started making tissue box prints (squares) on my paper…

I got carried away with the prints and used the side of the tissue box for rectangles too…

This was really fun and I ended up making three different papers of tissue box prints by the time I decided it was time to stop…

So don’t throw away that tissue box and be sure to check out all the other creative ideas you can do with tissue boxes by clicking on the box below!

By |2011-04-17T17:56:52+00:00April 17th, 2011|

1. Those are awesome!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm - Reply

Don’t you just love it? Simple and fun too:)

2. JDaniel4's Mom April 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm - Reply

What a great idea! The boxes made great patterns in the paint.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Yes, I was surprised to see all the patterns from the box!

3. The Activity Mom April 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm - Reply

So creative! That turned out great. I like the way you put the colors on the plate so that they were mixed on the print. We will have to try this for sure!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm - Reply

I really love lots of bright colors! If you try this and blog about it – be sure to let me know!

4. Lisa @ Two Bears Farm April 18, 2011 at 6:44 am - Reply

Lovely painting! What an easy way to make big squares.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 18, 2011 at 7:30 pm - Reply

I love “Large” art:)

5. Tara Sumner April 18, 2011 at 8:50 am - Reply

I cut up an alien tissue box, and made cards for my seven students. They turned out really cute, and the kids thought it was cool to see the tissue box cut up!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Oh that is a super cute idea! My tissue box was not all that cute to begin with – I am going to have to start shopping for tissue based on how cute that box is! LOL!

6. Nadia April 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm - Reply

I love how you have taken something that would normally be thrown out and turned it into art material. I think the pattern that it adds is gorgeous! I don’t have small square tissue boxes i have those big rectangular ones… (oooh the possibilities…hehe)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm - Reply

You will come up with something outstanding with those big boxes:) Let me know if you post an idea!!

7. Scott April 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm - Reply

So it IS true…you can paint with anything! This is a really fun idea, Deborah. Thanks for sharing it.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm - Reply

I hope you give this a try Scott and blog about it too!!

8. home schooling reading April 19, 2011 at 6:02 am - Reply

Very colorful and creative work, kids really enjoy doing the art which make them messed up at the end in doing something else. This is what we really want from our kids, their thoughts should flow in paper, no matter what ever it is. Thanks for sharing this beautiful thing.

9. Liz Burton April 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm - Reply

Giant stampers – how fun :0)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm - Reply

Haha – yes they are!

10. Kelly, Little Wonders' Days April 19, 2011 at 9:49 pm - Reply

I love these prints! I have to put this activity on our must try list.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 20, 2011 at 10:50 am - Reply

Put it at the very top of the list:) And let me know how it went especially if you blog about it – I want to see!!

11. Sarah April 20, 2011 at 8:10 pm - Reply

I just thought – what a great activity to do to reinforce those shapes and the difference between square and rectangle. Thanks for the great idea!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 20, 2011 at 11:44 pm - Reply

You are welcome Sarah:) It is a simple way to reinforce these shapes!

12. Esther April 22, 2011 at 9:44 am - Reply

What a great idea! My daughter loves painting and she would be very happy to try this! Easy way of stamping squares!

13. […] with tissues boxes by Teach Preschool. Maggie thought it was a great way for exploring art – colours and textures. It was so bright […]