We made paper plate Christmas wreaths in preschool

The kindergarten class has been busy making all kinds of fun holiday goodies to decorate their room and when I stopped by today, I was able to catch them making these pretty paper plate wreaths.

They cut out the center of a paper plate then added lot’s of green tissue paper and a touch of red…

I noticed that most of the children used the end of an unsharpened pencil to shape their tissue paper squares first…

Then they pressed the tissue paper squares onto a dab of glue on their paper plate…

Some of the children worked very fast and finished their wreaths quite quickly – other children worked very slowly and meticulously.

And some children chose to use dark green tissue paper while others went with the light green. All the wreaths turned out wonderful!

By |2017-03-28T22:28:42+00:00December 4th, 2010|

1. polwig December 4, 2010 at 8:30 am - Reply

This is so much fun… I can’t wait to do it at home.

• Deborah J. Stewart December 4, 2010 at 9:48 am - Reply

Thank you for stopping by Kathy!

2. Little Wonders' Days December 4, 2010 at 8:55 am - Reply

It looks like a fun craft for little hands! They turned out very pretty.

• Deborah J. Stewart December 4, 2010 at 9:47 am - Reply

Ahh, thank you 🙂

3. Cheryl Golangco December 4, 2010 at 9:35 am - Reply

Oooh! I like this! I tried the “tissue paper twisting” thing last year and made a rainbow for our classroom! It’s really a lot of work! My rainbow was around 5 feet and it took me more than a month to finish using that method! The end result however is really good. Every visitor that entered our room admired it, and so did the kids. Will blog about it after the holidays

• Deborah J. Stewart December 4, 2010 at 9:47 am - Reply

I can’t wait to see how it all turned out! How beautiful and what a lot of work:)

4. Allen December 4, 2010 at 10:33 am - Reply

Do you have conflict with students/parents that don’t celebrate Christmas?

Here is a post about Halloween that I wrote: https://technologyinclass.com/blog/2010/10/27/public-schools-are-no-place-for-halloween/

• Deborah J. Stewart December 4, 2010 at 11:13 am - Reply

Hi Allen,
      I think it all goes back to the type of school you work for and the policies and philosophy that is in place for the school. The school I work with is a private program and the parents are aware that holidays are celebrated. We do have some children enrolled that do not celebrate Christmas and the teacher communicate with their parents and work to be sensitive to their needs as well. But for the most part, celebrating holidays is a long-standing tradition in our schools that most parents understand before bringing their children to our school. Here is a post by Pre-K pages that also addresses this issue from her perspective…. https://www.pre-kpages.com/holiday-traditions/

5. Miller Moments December 4, 2010 at 10:37 am - Reply

Very cute!

• Deborah J. Stewart December 4, 2010 at 11:14 am - Reply

So nice to hear from you! Thanks for commenting!

6. Teacher Tom December 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm - Reply

We do at least one project every year using this technique, but like Cheryl, I’ve found that smaller is better. It can take forever to do a big piece, although the results are spectacular. This looks like a just the right size activity.

• Deborah J. Stewart December 4, 2010 at 9:41 pm - Reply

I think for children younger than Kindergarten – I would definitely go with a smaller paper plate. Some of these kindergarten age children took a LONG time to finish this:)

7. I still have my daughter’s Christmas wreath and she is far from being a preschooler! Love all the fine motor skills that this requires. My little guys and gals would need the smaller plate too. 🙂