Lesson plans for the infant room

An infant room is a special place where babies are nurtured, loved, and are given opportunities to learn!

Infants are learning about themselves and their world every single minute of every single day.

1. To prepare an infant lesson plan, the first thing I like to consider is the developmental stages of an infant. Each stage brings about new understanding and abilities. Because you may have a variety of developmental stages in your care at one time, you will want to create a plan that is flexible and easily adjusted to meet the developmental needs of each child.

Here is a brief overview of the four developmental domains to include….

• Physical – Development of Fine (small) and Gross (large) Motor Skills.
  • Cognitive – The process of making sense of the world around them.
  • Social – The awareness of others around them and the interaction with others around them.
  • Emotional – Development of self-awareness and self-confidence

2. You will want to repeat the activities you plan. I plan a weekly lesson plan and apply the activities with each child as the opportunity arises. Sometimes I am able to repeat an activity many times and other times I can’t get to an activity at all. Infants need repeated opportunities to try the activities you plan in order to foster growth in all developmental domain areas.

3. Evaluate your lesson plans regularly.  Each month you will want to adjust the level of ideas you plan to match the rapid growth and development of the babies in your care.

4. Including other areas. I also make sure I include music, sensory play, and creative expression.

5. Infants need time to explore. Don’t feel you need to plan something for every waking minute. Infants also just need time to explore their world without constant interruption.

6. A schedule is not the same as a lesson plan. Don’t confuse the infant’s schedule with the lesson plan. The lesson plan is a set of ideas you hope to include throughout the week but the infant’s schedule (sleeping, feeding, diaper changing) will always dictate how much time and when you will be able to present the ideas you have prepared in your lesson plan.

Here is a template that I often use to help me with my planning.

Click on the lesson plan above to see the full pdf!

Learn a little bit about Baby Signing!

Click here for more information about infant lesson plans!

Infant lesson books available on Amazon…

By |2010-05-03T01:07:07+00:00May 3rd, 2010|

1. Cathy May 3, 2010 at 2:50 am - Reply

I like the look of your lesson plan. I tried to get the printable version of this but it wouldn’t let me do it..

• Deborah J. Stewart May 3, 2010 at 7:13 am - Reply

If you click on the photo – it should give you a pdf format. Then you should be able to print the pdf. I hope you are able to do this – please let me know if you are still having trouble.

2. Paris Byrum May 3, 2010 at 1:05 pm - Reply

I cant wait for next weeks post!!!

3. Sarah May 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm - Reply

I got it printed. Do you have ideas for themes I can do with the infants? An example of a filled out lesson plan?

• Deborah J. Stewart May 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Yes, I am working on a part two for this post to give some examples:) Will be up by next week if not sooner!

4. lisa rogers October 6, 2010 at 12:48 am - Reply

i am having trouble with writing lesson plans for infants and toddlers i have just enrolled in a early childhood class and do not know how to write one could you please give me some info as to where i can find some lesson plan samples on the internet or some ideas as to how to write them

5. Lisa October 31, 2010 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I ran a childcare center for 20 years and this is an impressive website, which I am sure will help many teachers and parents.

• Deborah J. Stewart October 31, 2010 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Thank you Lisa – I consider that a huge compliment!

6. ronnie kern December 4, 2010 at 5:58 am - Reply

thank you so much, i will use this format for sure.

7. Ilene January 9, 2017 at 8:28 pm - Reply

Hello I am trying to print the lesson plan format and it is giving me a error page.

8. Liz October 16, 2017 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Hey Deborah! I’m trying to print out your infant lesson plan template and it won’t pull up. I saw on the comments before that someone else was having an issue too. Can you help me please?

• Deborah Stewart October 17, 2017 at 5:22 pm - Reply

The post is VERY old Liz and so the lesson plan is outdated and no longer available. I am so sorry about that.

9. Alexis Myers July 20, 2018 at 10:20 pm - Reply

Hello! I am trying to find templates for Infant and Toddler Lesson Plans. Since this post is older, do you have updated templates available? Thank you!

• Deborah Stewart July 24, 2018 at 10:01 pm - Reply

I sure don’t! I am so sorry about that!