Add a little learning to our playtime

This post is a combined linky and blogaversary celebration for Jillian over at A Mom with a Lesson Plan. I have been blessed to meet lots of wonderful bloggers and so it is always exciting when we get to celebrate someone’s accomplishment together.  If you haven’t been to Jillian’s blog – be sure to stop by today and say hello!

A Mom With A Lesson Plan

Happy One Year Anniversary Jillian and Congratulations!!

To celebrate, Jillian has chosen the theme – add a little learning to our playtime.  Below my post today is a linky to all the other bloggers who are sharing their own posts in celebration of Jillian’s blogaversary. Each post in the linky should be a fun read today so be sure to check out the linky below!

Add a little learning to our playtime…

As many of you know, I often use a chart during my circle time to introduce new concepts, promote conversation, and invite interaction with the children…

Today, during free play time, this little one decided to sit down with my chart and finish circling all the upper and lower case letters….

Sometimes, it is the unintentional that leads to intentional learning.  This little girl was holding the chart upside down on purpose. She was pretending to be the teacher as she invited her imaginary students to circle a letter. My leaving the chart on the floor was unintentional, I always leave it there, but it led to intentional learning as this little girl became the teacher for that little while…

As a teacher I can easily over think, over plan, over prepare, and over supply all in an effort to make sure my students are learning during their play time but often times it is when I get out of the way and give children the freedom to explore – the unintentional happens and a little learning is added to our playtime!

By |2011-11-29T10:00:41+00:00November 29th, 2011|

1. Jill @ a mom with a lesson plan November 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Thank you! I love this post. It’s a great reminder that we don’t always have to be quite so “planned”! ( I linked you up!)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Thank you Jill!!

2. Georgie November 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Great blog hop. I am happily finding lots of new great blogs.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 30, 2011 at 2:05 am - Reply

Terrific!

3. Chris November 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm - Reply

So true. I am learning to look more carefully for that unintentional learning. It is a lot of fun.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 30, 2011 at 2:04 am - Reply

Unintentional learning is so rewarding to see isn’t it?

4. Rachelle | TinkerLab November 30, 2011 at 12:17 am - Reply

This is so true, Deborah, and you caught such a great example of it. Isn’t it fascinating when we discover what children are really paying attention to? We can learn so much about them and their personalities in these moments. Love it!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 30, 2011 at 2:04 am - Reply

Yes, I just love watching them – especially when they are playing teacher:)

5. Beth November 30, 2011 at 6:45 am - Reply

I bet you are a great teacher – what fun activities!! I am your newest follower! I’d love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I also wanted to invite to link up at TGIF Linky Party on Friday – https://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
    Beth =-)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Hi Beth – I will hop over to visit you today!!!

6. Sharon November 30, 2011 at 11:30 am - Reply

It looks like you have a student who enjoys what you are doing. Because of doing something unintentional you found a great idea that can be applied intentionally next time. Thank you for sharing.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 1, 2011 at 3:00 am - Reply

Haha – that’s alot of intentions!!