Super duper spiderweb game for preschoolers

Every chance I get, I try to switch up my magnet board to something new and interesting and this simple magnetic spider game turned out to be super fun…

I actually tried several approaches to using these magnetic spiders.  The spiders are made out of pipe cleaners. The wire in the pipe cleaner is magnetic so if you use a good magnet tool, you can make the spiders crawl or at the very least, they are fun to pick up with a magnetic wand).

My kids like to see how many spiders they could pick up at one time with the wands.  Then they would toss them back onto the spider web…

I had this center out for a couple of days and as I said earlier, I tried several approaches. I also put spiders in a bottle to see if the children could move the spiders with a magnetic wand…

Some of the children could get the spiders to move but others really had trouble with it and found it frustrating…

The children preferred to just use the wands to pick up the spiders from the magnetic board or cookie sheet. The next favorite thing to do was to smash the spiders with the magnetic wands:)

So perhaps this game should be called The spider grab and smash game!

Links to Grow On

Magnetic Painting from Rockabye Butterfly

Puffy Paint Magnets from Handmade Beginnings

Weaving Spider Webs from Teach Preschool

By |2011-10-27T06:00:33+00:00October 27th, 2011|

1. [email protected] October 27, 2011 at 7:19 am - Reply

Deborah, you are so clever. I love this and so would my boys. Can’t wait to make it so we can have a play too.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 28, 2011 at 9:02 am - Reply

Tell me how they do Pauline!

2. Luz October 27, 2011 at 11:13 am - Reply

what a great Idea. i think i will try it and then I `ll tell you how it run.
    Maria Luz

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 28, 2011 at 9:01 am - Reply

I would love to hear how it goes!

3. andiejaye October 27, 2011 at 11:58 pm - Reply

i forgot all about those magnet wands. going to have to look for some of those!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 28, 2011 at 8:59 am - Reply

We use our magnetic wands all the time!

4. Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree October 28, 2011 at 9:48 am - Reply

Love all your spider activities! Looks like a lot of FUN!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 28, 2011 at 10:26 am - Reply

Thank you Melissa!

5. AJ January 29, 2012 at 11:30 am - Reply

I’m reading Charlotte’s Web with my pre-k kiddos and they are suddenly obsessed with spiders and webs. I have mostly 5 year olds now, so I might add some letters or numbers on to the spiders and make a game out of it somehow. Did you just use yarn to make the web around your board? I don’t have a fancy magnet board, would a cookie sheet work? Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful ideas! Your kiddos are lucky to have you as their teacher!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. January 29, 2012 at 11:36 am - Reply

Yes – a cookie sheet would be perfect!

6. Sandra February 24, 2012 at 8:50 am - Reply

I love all your ideas! I have used several of them in my classroom and the children loved them.