We used a glue gun today to create in prek!

I know that my blogging buddy, Teacher Tom, will be so proud of how I have stepped out of my comfort zone and introduced the use of a glue gun in prek…

I am not quite ready to share this with my three year old class yet but I have not counted it out either. Perhaps just a bit later on in the school year, we will consider it….

We talked about how to use the glue gun first. A little chat on how the end of the gun is hot, how the glue will be hot, and how to push the straws on top of the glue without touching the glue with our fingers…

I have to say that had we tried to make this straw mosaic with regular glue, that the children would have lost interest in just a few minutes. But with the glue gun, the interest never ends. We ran out of straws before we ran out of interest…

With the glue gun, the possibilities really open up for being creative. Instead of everything being flat on the cardboard, we were able to glue straws on top of straws without the worry of waiting for glue to dry or having the straws roll off…

We made big and little designs. The straw mosaics turned out beautifully and the glue gun adventure was a big hit!

Yes, we will be doing more this year with glue guns. This was a great idea Teacher Tom!

I am linking this post up with No Time for Flashcards: Link and Learn!

By |2011-09-02T19:00:47+00:00September 2nd, 2011|

1. Beth September 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm - Reply

Love it! I hope one day to have my own daycare that I can do more stuff like this. Smaller classes would be more applicable for things like this.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 2, 2011 at 9:15 pm - Reply

I hope you get your own daycare someday too Beth:)

2. Terri September 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm - Reply

I was mulling over the idea of letting my 4-yr-old use the glue gun after reading Teacher Tom’s post… now I’m thoroughly convinced! (I’m going to wait until my 2-yr-old is napping, though. There’s no way I’d let her use it yet!!)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm - Reply

It really was a fun experience – and much more relaxing and focused than I thought it would be…

3. Lian September 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm - Reply

What a good idea. I think I will give this a try.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm - Reply

Great Lian:)

4. Chelsea September 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm - Reply

What an awesome idea…i dont think im brave enough to try this in my preschool class….just curious did anyone burn themselves on the glue?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm - Reply

Good question – we had some minor strings from the glue touch us but no real owies and the kids really caught on fast how to keep that from happening. You know, this was so intriuguing for them that they wanted to do this so they were very careful and concentrated for a long time.

5. andiejaye September 2, 2011 at 11:42 pm - Reply

how fun is that? we have a low temp hot glue gun…maybe we’ll have to try it out!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:58 am - Reply

Let me know how it goes!

6. LaVonne September 3, 2011 at 12:50 am - Reply

My 3 year old would love it if I let her use my glue gun. She loves crafts and anything glue. 🙂

I just let her use adult scissors tonight for the first time. (We could not find her pair!) She did great.

Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Blessings,
    LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:58 am - Reply

I love how you are introducing new tools for learning LaVonne – over time, your three year old will master these tools! Well done!

7. katepickle September 3, 2011 at 12:54 am - Reply

very cool!
    I was brave and let my 4 year old and 7 year old twins have a go at the glue guns to make wood scrap creations and the four year old was much more careful than the older girls!

He is looking over my shoulder now and saying ‘cool straws, can we do that!’

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:57 am - Reply

Haha – we enjoyed the straws – the bright colors made a wonderful piece of artwork! I sent these home to parents but I want to do them again and hang them in the classroom. They would have made my wall look so pretty!

8. Sherry and Donna September 3, 2011 at 1:08 am - Reply

COOL! … Welcome to the ‘other side’ Deborah!
    Donna 🙂 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:55 am - Reply

Thank you Donna!

9. Gail Poulin September 3, 2011 at 7:15 am - Reply

Every morning, I get your latest post in my RSS and I tell myself I’ll read it there – not open the link. Many times this little talk with myself works but I am a bit of a visual learner myself so often, I simply must open one up and see shat it looks like in color. I had to see for myself – kids using a glue gun! I think I may have to find a few low temp glue guns for collages. Think of the endless array of options! Thanks for sharing Teacher Tom’s cool idea!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:55 am - Reply

Gail – you can’t see it in color??? Oh my – I love the color! Are you using Google Reader for your RSS feeds? This might help with that.

10. [email protected] September 3, 2011 at 7:23 am - Reply

Your 4 year olds are doing better than me. Every time I use a glue gun a get big blistering burns all over my fingers! My 12 year old, however, has been using them for years with no problem. Maybe kids are just smarter than me!
    Looks like fun.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:53 am - Reply

Haha – I do too Kristin! This is why I chose something bulky (straws) to work with – I wanted to put lots of space between those fingertips and the glue for the children to work with.

11. Roz Karp September 3, 2011 at 7:34 am - Reply

I have used a cold glue gun with success with 4 to 6 year olds. It surely cuts down on the burn possibility and worked very well. Has anyone else had success with the cold glue gun?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:51 am - Reply

I haven’t tried a cold glue gun – but plan to invest in one soon and see how well that works too!

12. ayn colsh September 3, 2011 at 9:26 am - Reply

Very brave, Deborah~~~and your bravery paid off! (I haven’t summoned the courage yet myself. For now, I’ll live vicariously through yours and Tom’s glue gun fun! 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:50 am - Reply

I think that is a good play Ayn – every teacher needs to use their best judgement when considering an idea like this. It worked well for my small class but I wouldn’t just throw it out there for a big group unless I had a good plan in place!

13. kristin @preschool daze September 3, 2011 at 9:50 am - Reply

i’m going to do this. i am.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 10:05 am - Reply

I can’t wait to see what you come up with Kristin! You always amaze me!

14. Malin September 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Let the 3 year olds try! We have been working with glue guns at my preschool for years and with proper introduction we’ve had 2 year olds doing it with some help from the 3-5 year olds…

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm - Reply

I will, I will!! LOL!

15. Lauralee September 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm - Reply

I am going to try this with my 4-yr old while the 2-yr old naps. I never thought about trying glue guns, but I think he will understand where to touch and where to avoid. Good idea!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Have fun Lauralee!

16. cathy at nurturestore September 3, 2011 at 5:04 pm - Reply

I need to get me a glue gun!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Haha! Another thing to add to your list Cathy!

17. Debbie Clement September 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm - Reply

Well!!! There ya go!!! From inspiration to creation in a heart-beat and a half! The process as documented is surely sufficient for the skeptics in our midst. Congrats for your willingness to attempt something new.

LOVE the look of the straws!!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm - Reply

I love the look of the straws too! Thanks Debbie – it was actually quite fun:)

18. Nancy May 17, 2018 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Could you share what brand glue gun you used – there seems to be a difference in the heat on the various brands – I’m looking for the lowest. Thank you

• Deborah Stewart June 8, 2018 at 3:10 pm - Reply

Definitely go with a low heat glue gun! The children inevitably want to touch the glue.