Rainbow tracing in preschool

Rainbow tracing is a simple technique for helping children work on their fine motor skills, eye-hand coordination, and beginning writing skills.

The technique is fairly simple. You give each child at least three different colors of crayons and a shape, number or letter to trace.

The children begin by tracing the shape with their finger.

Then the children use one color of crayon and trace the shape. Then the children use the second color to trace it again. Then they use the third color to trace the shape one more time.

To make these types of letters and numbers,  I use a font titled: “ABC Print Dotted” by Fonts4Teachers.  To make shapes, I just use my drawing tools in Microsoft Word and choose a dotted line.

I am linking this post to Writers World by Giggles and Crayons!

By |2010-10-25T06:00:59+00:00October 25th, 2010|

1. Michelle Willow October 25, 2010 at 6:57 am - Reply

Fun! 🙂

2. maryanne October 25, 2010 at 12:33 pm - Reply

What a fun way to increase repetition so kids get extra practice =)

• Deborah J. Stewart October 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm - Reply

It is a creative way to get in some extra practice for sure:)

3. Little Wonders' Days October 25, 2010 at 8:48 pm - Reply

My oldest loves doing that. I need to remember to show the younger ones. I bet they would enjoy it too.

• Deborah J. Stewart October 25, 2010 at 8:56 pm - Reply

Then you can blog about it and let me know if you do!

4. Jackie October 28, 2010 at 7:35 pm - Reply

We’ve been working on the letters in my son’s name. He loves to trace (with help). I’m so excited that I can make my own and personalize them for him. Thanks so much for the idea.

5. Giggles and Crayons December 29, 2010 at 8:45 am - Reply

I think I will try that, thanks for the suggestion! Have you tried dafont.com? They have lots of free fonts to download as well.

• Deborah J. Stewart December 29, 2010 at 10:03 am - Reply

I will check it out! Thanks April!