A is for painting apple trees in preschool

I just love apples and the beginning of a new school year gives me every excuse I can to have fun making and learning about apples.

To make these fun little apple trees, gather up some red, yellow, green paint, and some brown construction paper. I used a tissue roll but you can also use a paper cup to make the circles.

Start by having the children tear the construction paper into long and short, thin strips for the tree and branches.

Invite the children to glue the tree trunks down first, then glue branches all over the trees.

Once all the trunks and branches are glued down. It is time to add some apples!

You can use a tissue paper roll, paper towel roll, or paper cup to dip in paint and make the apple circles.

Then dip your chosen item in the paint and make prints all over the branches.

This would be a great way to make a fall tree as well. Just change to leaf shaped sponges or even square sponges would do!

What I like

• Letting the children tear their own paper to make the branches is a great way to work on building fine motor control.
  • Giving plenty of time to make all the apple prints they desire! The apple printing is what makes this super fun!

Available on Amazon

By |2010-08-22T10:12:42+00:00August 22nd, 2010|

1. Kristi August 23, 2010 at 10:44 am - Reply

Love this!

2. Ms.Jessi August 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm - Reply

So cute! I really love projects that don’t require a whole lot of prep, too. 🙂 This is our apple week….maybe I’ll be able to slip this project in somewhere.

3. Teacher Tom August 23, 2010 at 8:15 pm - Reply

I’m with Jessi, it’s good to have a collection of low-prep time projects in the hopper. And what I really like is that I always have extra brown construction paper around because the kids rarely choose it on their own! =)

4. Krystal August 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm - Reply

I love this idea. I’ve had the kids paint with these rolls a ton of times, but never thought of this. Thanks for sharing 🙂

5. Cara August 23, 2010 at 11:08 pm - Reply

These would go PERFECTLY with the apple play dough I just made! I love everything about this class…the technique of applying the paint to the paper, the ripping of the paper to form the trees. What a great project! I’m bookmarking this one for future use with my son (or maybe even our art playgroup!)

6. Scott August 24, 2010 at 9:54 am - Reply

Love this idea. I have a bag of “circles” for painting – we often just paint with different circles. This would be a great use for all of those. Thanks!

7. Clemencia August 24, 2010 at 1:14 pm - Reply

I love it! thanks so much for the idea 🙂

8. Natasha @ Maw Books August 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm - Reply

I’ve just discovered your blog this past week and wanted to say thank you! We already did this craft today with my two little boys and it was a hit. They loved to dip the roll in the paint.